Sunday, October 25, 2009

I might be the strangest person you know


Now, I'm not strange in a Phoebe Buffay kind of way. But I am such a strange mixture of dichotomies and contradictions, I can't even keep track of myself. What brought on this declaration, you might wonder? Well, I was walking home from church today thinking, as usual, how much I love walking everywhere I need to go in town. I love walking! I love that when it's time to go to work, I bundle up, put on my huge red backpack and head out for my 15 minute walk to school. I love that at the end of the day, when I'm not in a hurry I can take the long way home that leads me along the creek that runs through the middle of town. I love that when it's grocery shopping time, I load up on reusable, cloth bags and walk to and from the store. I love that I finally have a form of exercise that I actually do. I love that my muscles and feet can now take long days of sightseeing without being in pain. I love that whenever I walk out the door, I am blessed with the opportunity to walk through a quaint and beautiful town in the Black Forest of Germany. I love it, I love it, I love it! So what's so strange about that? I really don't like walking. I'll hardly ever go for a walk just for the fun of it. I don't go for hikes on the many trails our area is famous for. If I had a car, I know I'd end up driving to school cuz I got ready too late. If I have some spare time, or I want to hang out with a friend, I'll never suggest going for a walk. (I'm going on a hike with a friend tomorrow, her suggestion. I'll enjoy it, I'm sure. But I would never choose it on my own.) How can I love to do something so much that it makes me smile and be happy every time I HAVE to do it, yet never want to do it when I DON'T HAVE to?

This is not my only personal contradiction. I'm split right down the middle on being an introvert/extrovert. I love being social and hanging out, but I am quite shy and love being home alone. I can't fathom the idea of living in a country long enough to learn the language without doing so, yet I can't get motivated to learn a bit more of German. I miss home like crazy, but I absolutely love being here! The list goes on but you get the picture. OK, maybe that doesn't make me the strangest person you know, but I'm definitely weird. As a teenager, one of my favorite sayins was: "If you're not weird, you're not worth knowing." I hope that means I'm worth knowing. :-) (My other favorite quote was: "You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.")

Looking forward to my next purposeful walk,

Viki


4 comments:

  1. Just confirms why we are friends! I'm sitting in my apartment thinking, it's a beautiful day and I should enjoy it by going for a walk. But - here I sit! Because, I love walking but I rarely do it just to do it. And the comparisons go on! All that to say, I love reading about your adventure and making it mine vicariously! Praying for you as I write...love, Evie

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah, that doesn't make you weird.
    I hate running. Loathe it, really. But I did a marathon back in January and am doing a half marathon this coming January. Which forces me to run, which I hate. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondered if "You're not weird, you're not worth knowing" would show up in this post! :-)
    Thanks for adding an extra smile on a good day. And I'm just like you with the walking thing - enjoy it when I have to, but don't want to when I don't have to either. Perhaps that's why the "weird" quote fits us both so well.
    God's blessings on you, Viki! You're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm excited to keep up with your blog now too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture is beautiful! It helps when you have such beautiful scenery to walk through. Thanks for the updates, it is so great to be able to hear and see what is going on in your life over in Germany! Keep 'em coming!
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete